Within the framework of the EasyWay programme 2007-2020, seen as Global Project, fostering the development of ITS services along transport corridors, the European ITS Platform + (EIP+) is a follow up of the EIP project (Nov. 2013 - Feb 2015) that has been co-funded by the European Commission under the EC ITS Call 2012.
Although ITS for roads has been applied by EU Member States with great success already since decades, there is still the need and the willingness to continue the existing cooperation improving cross-border coordination, the exchange of knowledge and sharing of best practices and the harmonized deployment of ITS services across EU, to overcome fragmentation which hinders the efficiency and competitiveness of road transport along EU corridors.
So, in principle, the “EIP+” continues to pursue the main “EIP” objective of fostering the consensus building between European Member States with the aims to provide the European citizen with harmonized ITS Services along the TEN-T Road network.
Furthermore, the particularity of the “EIP+” is the strong interface with the “Corridor” projects that are co-funded under the EC 2013 ITS Call, by monitoring their technical progress on ITS services implementation that will be performed, as well as collecting and elaborating their results. One more important task will be the dissemination of knowledge and experiences both inside and outside the partnership of the “EIP+” in order to make available best practices for the future ITS Service deployments.
Within the “EIP+”, it is also important to ensure that evaluations, that will be carried out by each Corridor project, will be of the highest quality, following relevant evaluation guidance, in order to enable conclusions about the overall levels of benefits being realized by the Corridor projects.
The establishment of the European ITS Platform+ contributes to the following medium/long-term objectives:
- Ensure the harmonized and interoperable deployment of ITS on the TEN-T road network and relevant network nodes that connect the TEN-T road network to other road networks and/or other modes of transport, especially via well-established links to Member State Corridor deployment projects applications in the scope of the 2013 EC MAP ITS Call.
- Facilitate the ITS Policy level cooperation of Member States and to map policy level decisions on the European level to the EasyWay Deployment Guidelines for ITS and other required technical elements on the operational level, particularly with regard to the priority actions and priority areas of the ITS Directive 2010/40/EU.
- Ensure a wide harmonization of ITS deployment across the TEN T road network by collecting, processing and promoting best practices on the practical deployment of ITS Core Services through active and committed Member State cooperation in the EIP+.
- Complete the EasyWay Deployment Guideline framework of the Member States to complement European ITS EC Specifications in order to provide a consistent and coherent framework for future ITS deployments.
The main Objectives of the EIP+ are:
- Monitoring the application of EasyWay Deployment Guidelines (DGs), including a Helpdesk and User Support facility, in the harmonised ITS deployments on the pan-European roll-out implementations of Corridor projects (Works) and the dissemination of DGs, best practices, lessons learned, etc from Corridor projects (Works).
- Evaluation of the impacts of Corridor projects (Works) on a European scale.
- Progress on the pan-European harmonisation.
The EIP+ contributes to:
- A continuous monitoring and collection of feedback on the application of the DGs in the context of national projects within the Corridor projects (Works) and to consolidated reporting of the results, lessons learned and best practices concerning the DGs requirements at a European scale.
- Set up and run a Helpdesk as an operational instrument for help and guidance for the DGs users, becoming a strong link between the road operators and the EIP+.
- A Pan-European harmonisation of interoperable and scalable deployment to foster the effective uptake and (future) operational use of results.
- The evaluation of the impacts of implementation on the Corridor deployments projects (including a definition of key performance indicators, methods and procedures to be used, in co-operation with relevant implementation projects).
The results and outcomes that will be achieved will be multiple and all relevant for the creation of interoperable networks of continuous ITS services deployed at the European level. These results will mostly be the final product of all of the various EIP+ groups. These groups will work on the basis of outputs of the Corridor projects (Work) as well as other sources.
Moreover, the attention of the “EIP+” activities is also focused on some specific emerging technologies; in fact different ITS systems and services show different level of maturity and the need to link different networks and modes of transport is continuously increasing. The “EIP+” include also specific activities that aim to support ITS harmonization within new and growing areas like “Cooperative Systems” and “New and improved monitoring technologies”.
The EIP+ aims to provide an important contribution to make ITS even more effective by demonstrating operational gains in terms of continuity of service across borders and networks interfaces in a joint effort to ensure the creation of a proper environment for harmonizing existing and future ITS services.